Taxes And Your Family Law Case

It’s tax season again! So what do your taxes have to do with your family law case? Child Support & Tax Interceptions In Ohio, the Child Support Enforcement Agency has the authority to intercept a person’s tax refund for past due child support owed to any child (regardless of the child’s age). So, if you are the … Read more

The Military & Your Family Law Case

Family law issues can be made more complex when one or both parties are a member of the military.  Due to special laws and considerations, you will want to consult an attorney experienced in military cases. Each branch of the armed forces has special regulations regarding the minimum financial responsibility to a service member’s spouse … Read more

Temporary Orders

Temporary Orders are issued by the Court and direct the parties regarding custody, parenting time, child support, spousal support, and the payment of obligations and debts during the pendency of the case. Temporary Orders control these issues until the case is either settled or a final decision is issued. It is important you provide the Court with the proper information and documentation to allow the Court to make an educated decision.  Given the importance of Temporary Orders and the various ways they are handled from county to county, you should seriously consider seeking legal advice from a knowledgeable and experienced attorney to assist you.

Read more

Tax Interceptions & Child Support

Did you know the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) can intercept federal and state tax refunds to pay outstanding child support obligations?  Below are the answers to a few commonly asked questions regarding tax offsets.  If you have further questions or need help with other child support or family law related issues, call us at (614) 567-3031 to schedule an initial consultation. 

Read more

Rights of Unwed Fathers

In Ohio, when a child is born to married parents the father has equal rights.  However, when the parents are not married this is not initially the case.  When a child is born to unwed parents, the mother has sole custody and the father has no rights. An unwed father must establish his rights through the court system.

For an unwed father to obtain legal rights,

Read more

Rights of Unwed Mothers

Under Ohio law, an unwed mother is the sole legal custodian of a child until and unless a court establishes otherwise. It is not necessary for an unwed mother to file with a court or otherwise take action to establish her rights as to the child. Having legal custody means you alone have the right to make decisions on behalf of your child, including the right to decide father’s access to the child.

Read more